Sunday, September 21, 2008

late night composition writing

Wow! 
It is currently quarter to 1.
So in about 6 hours I will be getting up for school. 
Hmmmmm
Getting the recommended 8 hours of sleep seems very unlikely tonight then...

I can't help it though! I find I'm in my composing prime when my house is completely quiet besides me banging away on my midi controller. I like the eerie atmosphere of the night because all of this atonal business is half spooky!

So yesterday evening I spent trying to get sibelius working. It was quite tedious because I tried taking the poor musician's way out and 'borrowing' it from the internet. I'll buy it some day I swear! Anyway, after much frustration of getting it working, I realized that I have no means of printing it off. aka, no printer. So it looks like I'll be spending more money after all some time this week! That's karma, baby.

I also played squash for the first time last night. It was intense! 

I almost finished up my first piece today but once I entered it in sibelius I never really liked the flow of it. It lacked a middle section to tie two of my ideas together. I was also arranging it for violin, but I'm thinking of changing it to cello. I'm pretty sure I'm getting way too intense with the first project when I can just let things slide. But once I get something written and I'm not satisfied with it, I can't even listen to it again until it's changed. Once I get this piece finished though it shouldn't be too bad. I already have the second variation mapped out in my head. I'm just hoping to get this one shaped up for tomorrow!

Anyhow, back to work I go!
I think I'll get a coffee in the morning.
-robbie bobbie b

1 comment:

Clark Ross said...

Good journal entry, Robbie. I know what you mean about not being content with a composition when you know it could be better... I think that all composers (or all people who create things) probably can relate.

I would encourage you to keep at it until you're pretty sure it's as good as you can make it for now, then move on to the next piece.

When you're starting out as a composer your musical taste generally exceeds your compositional abilities, so it is hard to reach a point where you are 100% satisfied with your creations. However, the good news is that if you keep at it, compositional skill will increase and you will eventually reach the point where you become better able to express what you want through music, and therefore become more satisfied with what you compose.