Thursday, September 18, 2008

This is a blog

Well I think it's about time that I jump on this whole blogging band wagon before I get too far into the semester!
Last week we compiled 12-16 chord progressions varying in harmonic tension, played them in class and received feedback. I was quite pleased with my progression, consisting of 14 chords. There were some chords that puzzled different people that I found quite interesting. It was great to get different reactions and views. Chords 3 and 12 both seemed to be up for questioning of whether or not they fell precisely in place tension-wise. My climax, however, was recognized at 9 as I had planned. My first chord was probably my favorite, which was described as having a sense of inequality. 
As for this week, we were sent to work on our first character piece. Initially I began cramming too many ideas into my piece at once, because I would think of an idea and add it to the composition. But after playing it numerous times and getting some feedback from people, I've decided to break it down and concentrate on a couple of key ideas for the first one.
So far my first character piece consists of ambience contrasting with very noted excerpts. It's probably the most free time piece I will be composing out of the three. I have yet to decide on the difference in dynamics or if I will just leave it pretty soft and eerie. I don't want to describe too much more of it here though until I play it in class in order for everyone to get their own perception on it. 
I think the hardest part for me in writing atonal music is I find it so easy to get trapped into writing in a key signature. I'll start to write atonally but end up improvising and writing a completely tonal section. It's interesting to say the least, but I'm getting the hang out it. 
I'm hoping to be finished the piece by some time tonight, however with with my sibelius temporally not working I think I will be aiming for a monday performance.
But back to work I go!
Bye for now!
-robbie b

1 comment:

Clark Ross said...

Good journal entry, Robbie. Looking forward to hearing the piece now!