Friday, November 21, 2008

Finally some progress!

Okay!
So I am sitting at my computer at 12:30 on a Friday night after spending the night tinkering away on my piano and relaxing in my room (yeah I'm cool like that, so what?) And I think I have FINALLY settled on a musical cliche that I am content with. It has been a long time in the coming I know! I've tried many cliches such as romantic music, chromaticism, 5-1 progressions, a waltz, to name a few, and none of them really seemed to settle with the other ideas I had for the piece. I didn't really think that I could grow from it and change naturally enough. With my new idea I think I can achieve that. 

The good thing about this extra lengthy process is that I have come across a few ideas that I can use in other compositions or just finish up with what they have and, voila, no wastage of ideas! It's great to add to my portfolio to submit for theory/comp at the end of the semester. 

I must sign off now though. I want to get some sleep and work on my composition all day tomorrow as well as sunday and hopefully have it completely ready for monday's class. 
I'll leave you in suspense until then though!

Good night folks!
-Robbie b

6 comments:

Melissa B. said...

Trying to steal my waltz were you?

For shame.

Robbie b said...

actually that's hilarious
because I came to school on tuesday after staying home monday to work on my comp and I was like "Justin!! I've finally got a great cliche picked out!" And then he was like "Oh yeah! ...Like Melissa's?"
And there went that idea!

Melissa B. said...

I would've said we could share, but I think you're well on your way with your new cliche!

Good luck!

Clark Ross said...

Woah! Clichés aren't proprietary, folks! If they were, they wouldn't be clichés...

That said, no harm no foul, I guess, since it appears that Robbie has switched course once again.

This has made me think that it would be a great learning experience (for another time, of course, since this course is all but over!) for me to have everyone write short pieces based on the same cliché, idiom, or style, like waltz, for example.

It would really force people to find ways of being creative and original within the chosen idiom (like waltz), rather than in their choice of idiom.

Hmm....

Robbie b said...

yeah!
I think having the cliche already given to me would make this assignment less stressful, because then I would have no choice but to stick to the same one as oppose to changing it every hour. The amount of freedom for this assignment is giving me way too many ideas and I don't know which ones to choose.

Clark Ross said...

I hear ya!