Sunday, November 23, 2008

writing diligently

Hey there!
I am still working away at my composition trying to get it finished, or at least relatively finished, for tomorrow's class. As I've been going along, I've tried to figure out ways to both speed up my composing as well as using sebelius the best I can.

I've played through the ideas I've collected numerous times on the piano with, of course, it changing slightly each time and I'm not certain if some parts should repeat or where different parts should go in the composition. Instead of just playing it over and over until I'm satisfied with the form, I just opened up another composition file and have been writing excerpts on it to cut and paste later. That way I can at least hear all the parts together and just sit back and listen to it. 

One thing about sebelius is, I find it so ridiculous to listen to the instruments play back what you write. The piano sounds alright when you are writing out rhythmic passages, but it is so hard to grasp something that is to be played a lot more free and with expression. I also find the cello and violin, the other two instruments I am using for my piece, to sound even less like the instruments when I hear them being played back and then I try to think whether or not it will sound foolish in reality. I think for christmas I'm going to ask for a professional multi-talented musician so I can have him live in my closet and play what I write. Sounds reasonable.

I think my main question for tomorrow's class after my piece gets played, hopefully in it's entirety, is to ask how effective the cliche is according to the position I have placed it in my piece. I used to have it at the beginning, then I moved to to the end, and now I'm not sure if I should have it at both the beginning and the end, if I should go back to it throughout or if I should just keep it as is. That is my main concern, along with some feedback from the string players on the violin and cello parts.

But back to my piece I go! It's sad when your break consist of writing about what you're taking a break from! Let's hear it for indecisive writing!

okay bye!
-Robbie b

1 comment:

Clark Ross said...

Man, your blogs make for great reading!